Please do NOT contact me regarding this, I will not make it public no matter what you are willing to offer me. I appreciate the polite requests I have received for this, however recently I have been receiving many rude emails saying “How dare I not make this public.” I am astounded by some people’s stupidity and no, swearing at me will not make me suddenly hand this over to you. I made this as a proof of concept. That is all this will ever be. Thanks.
The Plan: Make a nice wrapper for SuperSport’s online streaming for my Kodi Media Centre.
This is quite a difficult topic due to piracy. So I’ll start out by saying, I will NOT make this public. I do have login credentials to legally access SuperSport’s web streams. I DO NOT condone people using similar plugins for Plex or Kodi to bypass authentication.
Now that that is out of the way, lets have a look at what I managed to get done. This was never meant to be pretty, it was meant to be a proof of concept. This was my first Python Script and my first Kodi Add-on. As it turns out, it was a lot easier than I expected.
I used Paw to dig through a few “unofficial” API endpoints that SuperSport uses for streaming within their mobile apps. I then signed in and pulled an authentication token out to use for my add-on. Once I had all of that, I was ready to start building the add-on.
The first step was to replicate the HTTP GET request in Python and then parse the response. This was very easy with a minimal amount of googling. This I had to populate the user interface. I find the way Kodi does things to be a little bit difficult to wrap my head around. I’ve worked with the API before and it took me ages to get basic tasks working. A few basic tutorials later and I was up and running. Then all I had to do was mark the stream links as playable in Kodi and it was done.
This was a lot easier than I had ever imagined. It took me less than 2 hours from start to finish. I do however have a fair amount of experience from being a developer. I also managed to slim the code down to a mere 30 lines. (Including everything, even imports and spacing)
I could modify this some more and make it look a bit nicer and add more actual information to the info displays. I doubt I will as I really don’t need this. As a proof of concept, this was a success.
I used a Mac for development, once done I zipped the add-on and managed to install it on Ubuntu 15.04. It worked flawlessly there too.